Sunday, January 15, 2012

Orange or Lemon Dusters

I had the pleasure of experiencing an allergic reaction a few months ago. (*note the sarcasm*) I have used furniture polish over and over again through out my life. Yes, the name brand stuff and the cheap stuff. However, I've had and used the same can long before my reaction. My hands broke out with a slight rash. I went to bed and in the middle of my deep sleep, I woke to burning, itching, hurting hands. My hands were hurting so bad I didn't realize the bottom of my left foot was also on fire. Strange, YES! My quest to the doctor and his questions didn't render any answers at first. He left the room to get my "injection" ready and it hit me. I dusted the entire house and threw the dusting rag in the laundry room. When I done my next load of laundry, I stood on that rag with my bare feet. I remember doing this because as I stepped away, the dusting polish was still on my foot and I slid and almost fell. I didn't fall, but I sure gave everyone a good laugh. Including myself.
As the doctor came back in, I told him what I had figured out. Told him I had used this same stuff for years and it had never done this before. Well, as most of you know, you can develop an allergy with age. Lucky me!!!! (note the sarcasm, again!)
So, I came up with a way around those itchy, burning and rashing hands.
I have made my own duster rags. Ohhhh why didn't I think of this years and years ago! I absolutely LOVE them! I will never, ever use anything else!!!
Here's how I made mine.

I purchased a 2 pack of microfiber rags from the Dollar Tree.
Along with the rags, here's what else you need:

1 cup of white vinegar
1 cup of warm water
1 teaspoon of olive oil
& the rind from an entire orange or lemon
1 quart jar with lid

In the quart jar add the vinegar, water, olive oil and ½ the rind. Shake really hard and let sit for 30 minutes so the vinegar and warm water will help bring out the natural oils in the rind. After 30 minutes, shake again to make sure everything is mixed together. Then add your two rags. Just shove them in there unfolded. Then you need to place the rest of the rind on top of the mix and let sit another 15-20 minutes. Remove the rags, ring out all the excess liquid, dump out the liquid from the jar and place rinds back in the jar. On top of the rinds, add your rags, and seal with the lid. These will keep for a long while. Ones that I use keep up to 2 weeks before the rinds start going bad. I have also put the prepared rags (in the jar of course) in the fridge and they've been there over a month. We don't want moldy rags to wipe down our house. That wouldn't be good at all!
I LOVE these. They smell really good, make my wood look amazing and I don't get all of those chemicals from furniture polish on my hands! Try them, I'm certain you will like them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment