Thursday, November 3, 2011

Bring in 20 Mule

So, these days people are looking for ways to save money. For my family, we've made it clear that things can be done on a budget. I'm all for thrifty but I sure like nifty too. I heard you could make your own laundry detergent. Skeptical? Yes. Worth a shot? After reading the cost per load was less than 2¢ per load, YES, 2 pennies per load, I decided to give it a try. Worse thing that could happen. I didn't like it for laundry. If that be the case, I could at least use it to clean the toilets.

Things you need:
1 cup of 20 Mule Borax
1 cup of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (not baking soda)
1 bar of soap (at least a 4oz bar) You can use Ivory, Fels-Naptha or ZOTE® and Fels-Naptha® are made specifically for laundry bar soap.

Grate the bar of soap on a cheese grater. I cheated for this. I cut the bar of soap into pieces (hunks) and put them in one of the small ($6) food processors that I rarely used. It turned into a fine powder this way so I will use this method from now on. That's it folks. It made this wonderful powdery substance that I now use for laundry detergent & to boot..... it works & smells great!
2 tablespoons per load OR for heavily soiled items, I have found 3 scoops to work better. This also works well in high efficiency washers because it a low suds detergent.

Happy Washing!

No comments:

Post a Comment