Monday, January 23, 2012

Dryer sheets

I love a good smelling load of laundry. What I love more is for my laundry to keep it's smell for several days. Homemade fabric softener is always an option but when I coupon shop and can get things for free, I'll do just that. Well, almost. I always look for ways to try and make my freebie last a little longer. I was able to score a large bottle of fabric softener for free. So, I made fabric softener/dryer sheets! Yes, they work like magic. I LOVE them!!!


I purchased a container from the dollar tree, with a lid to keep them in the laundry room.
Here's what you need:

*6-8 pieces of 3"X5" pre-washed fleece or flannel. (I used an old fleece scarf)
*Fabric Softener
*Water
*Container with lid (for storing. I used dollar tree container, you can use a quart jar if you'd like)

Cut your fabric and place inside container (no need to fold)
Mix 4 parts fabric softener with 10 parts of water, stir together and pour over your fabric. Put lid on and shake.
Each time you dry a load of clothes, pull out one sheet, sqeeze out excess liquid into the container and throw the sheet into the dryer. When you clothes are done drying, throw your sheet back into the container and shake to get it wet.
I used a ½ cup as one part, meaning 2 cups of softener and 5 cups of water.
I used an entire container (one mix) of these sheets for 64 loads. If I done my math right, that means my free, 120 load bottle of fabric softener will allow me to do 1920 loads in the dryer! That friends, is absolutely AMAZING!
I wrote Fabric Softener Sheets on a piece of computer paper and taped it to the container (covering the entire label) with shipping tape to keep the paper from getting wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment