Thursday, November 3, 2011

Cream of WHAT?!?

I'm a "Cream of ____ Soup" kinda girl. I love the flavor that cream of ___ soups add to just about any recipe. I tend to buy at least 10-15+ cans per month for recipes. So when I run out, it's a sad sad day! When I ran across this recipe for "Cream of WHAT?" I had to try. Viola', it's wonderful. Actually, I think I like it better than the soup itself.

1 cup non-fat dried milk
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup bouillon cubes
4 Tablespoons freeze dried minced onions (I used the minced onions from Sam's Club)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried thyme (I couldn't find the thyme so I used dried parsley instead)
1 teaspoon pepper
Mix all together and store in an airtight container in your pantry. When you run out, or if you are like me and it's all you will use, then grab from the pantry and whip up a "can" for your recipe.
Here's how to whip it up:
For the equivalent of one can of condensed cream soup, mix 1/3 cup dry mix with 1 1/4 cup water. Cook until thick and add to your recipe! Wham, it's that easy!
Now, when I store mine away, I have taped the recipe on the outside of the container so I don't have to run back to my blog to figure out what I need. Simple!
Happy Whipping!

I have made this two ways. Both ways work great.
I mixed all ingredients except for dried milk. Put it in an airtight container and when I need to make cream of ___ soup. I put milk in my pan and add 1/3 cup of the mix and whisk until done. Also, my hubby doesn't like onion taste so I reduced the minced onions down to 2 teaspoons and it's still great!

Here's a picture, just not my picture. Shhhh, we won't tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment